Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Relunctant Heiress by Eva Ibbotson

 genre: young adult historical fiction

The beautiful old castle standing outside of Vienna is on the verge of financial ruin. When a wealthy British gentleman with elaborate plans comes and offers to purchase it, it feels like a dream come true. For the former inhabitants of the castle, it’s actually a mixed blessing, of course, and this story of princesses and wealth and class and opera and a vageuly quirky self-made-man will circle around love and chaos until the world is set to rights.

This was last of Eva Ibbotson’s young adult novels for me to read and it captured me just like the others. Our main characters were a bit too amazing to be true, but I just like them that way in these stories. I love the European settings, the backstage look at music and art and the gentle plot lines that move along while always feeling cozy. I always want more from the climax of the romance in these books, but I enjoy the journey very much.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...