Friday, March 3, 2023

The House in the Pines by Ana Reyes

 genre: suspense/psychological thriller

When Maya's best friend Aubrey died the summer after they graduated from high school, Maya KNEW It had something to do with that boy Frank that Maya had been dating, but no way to prove it.  Her trauma from that experience led to several years of addiction and unhappiness until one day, a viral video she sees brings it all back.  Frank is still out there.  And someone else is now dead.

I am of two minds on this one because on the one hand, it's actually pretty well written. I wasn't ever super sure of Maya as our narrator and the plot with Frank is creepy.  I particularly liked learning about her Guatemalan father and the threads that connected her to him.  I never got bored by it and read it fairly quickly.  However, I seriously had nearly the whole thing figured out in the first 50 pages.  I was sorta hoping she'd surprise me and have it be something else but no.  It was still interesting but it never super twisted in a way that was thrilling to me.  Three stars.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...