Wednesday, September 21, 2022

A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers (audiobook)

 genre: science fiction

Dex knows the world they lives in is good.  Even though the robots have left to go to their own wild places, the humans left behind have become better stewards of the planet. Dex has no reason to be so unmoored. But they are.  And the decision to become a Tea Monk will lead Dex to meet one of these robots from the wild and the questions this robot asks will dig to the heart of what make us human.

Um, cozy science fiction?  There is no other word to use.  Cozy.  The images this book conjured in my imagination make me happy to think of even now.  I love how the robot made my brain spin a little with their questions that are just different enough from anything I've ever considered that those questions felt fresh and interesting.  It's a super short book and yet it still felt like a meander - we take our time in this story, we observe and we contemplate and we let ourselves be amazing by the world we've been given.  I'm only give it four instead of five stars because it was on the verge of too slow for me to get invested at first - but I'm really glad I stuck with it.  It's a lovely piece of work.

CW: lots of swears at a couple different parts

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...