Saturday, August 20, 2022

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, a graphic adaptation by Miles Hyman

 

 genre: graphic adaptation

Not a lot of things stand out in my mind from my middle school English classes.  One thing that DOES stand out?  My horror at the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.  This graphic adaptation is by her grandson, as we learn in the interesting introduction, and that does put in interesting spin on it in my mind.  It’s a really quick read that does pack a powerful punch at the end, when you realize what the lottery IS - and what it is NOT.   The illustrations are a little vague-y which really gives it an old-timey feel without making it read like a “western” - it’s just an older place and time, a town out there somewhere that has chosen to keep its “lottery” tradition.  

Note: why does there have to be multiple pages of a topless woman?  Literally unnecessary and makes it so I don’t feel comfortable handing it to my nine year old even though I think he’d appreciate the depth of the ideas.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...