Sunday, June 19, 2022

Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

genre: young adult graphic novel

Heartstopper is a graphic novel about Charlie and how he comes to fall in love. As one of the only gay boys out in school, he’s experienced not just bullying but heartbreak too. When the new semester means a new seatmate, Charlie meets the school rugby star and he’s surprised to learn that Nick is actually a really kind and fun friend. But high school is so tricky and finding someone to care about - that also cares about you - can seem like an almost hopeless task.

I know I’m biased in my adoration for Charlie because of the tv series based on this graphic novel- he is DARLING. So earnest and self-aware with such a big heart. I wanted desperately for someone to see the charm in him and treat him the way he deserved. This book has so much going for it - first love, a super-relatable gay teen protagonist, lovely and sparse art, big feelings and so much compassion. I loved it so much myself, as a straight adult, and I can imagine that a gay teenager might find even more here to relate to and find solace in. Recommended for teens and up.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...