Thursday, January 14, 2021

In the Woods by Tana French

 genre: murder mystery

In the early 1980s, three young friends disappear into the local forest to play.  Only one of them comes home.  Decades later, in these same Irish woods outside of Dublin, another body is found and Detective Ryan and his partner Maddox are on the case.  Does this new case connect with the old one?   Can the Dublin Murder Squad figure out who is responsible and how they did it before the killer gets away with murder?

Truth is, this book grabbed me from the beginning - and murder mysteries are NOT my thing.  Our narrator is unreliable, sure, which always makes things both interesting and frustrating.   There are scary bits, it surprised me and ultimately drove me nuts at the end!  The writing is incredibly solid, the style is very readable and I loved how the Dublin setting feels like such a part of the story.  I honestly just hated the narrator by the time is was over.  There were too many loose ends for me to give it five stars, even though I was engaged in the story from start to finish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...