Saturday, October 31, 2020

March Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell

 genre: graphic nonfiction

This is the  final volume in an autobiographic series about John Lewis and his participation in the Civil Rights movement.  We march with him in Selma, see his horror at the Birmingham church bombing, we watch how unthinkably tragic and upsetting the path to voting was for Black people in the South.  Again, things I'd probably heard of or maybe read about but never understood in context.  Honestly, I read this feeling rage about shame about my own country and the ignorance of its people.  The VIOLENCE, the vitriol that would cause people to fear the rights of others so much that they are willing to murder.  I just do not comprehend it and I KNOW this is my privilege talking. 

I feel like so much is discussed in these three books that they honestly could be used as a text for a history class on the movement.  Whenever I was reading about something I was unfamiliar with and I'd look it up, this book was factually correct based on the sources I found.  The names, places and even contention within the movement makes it feel like an honest accounting from one point of view.

I am so glad I made time to read these books.  I highly recommend them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...