Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Frangipani by Celestine Vaite

 genre: contemporary fiction

Tahiti is home to Materena Mahi and she wouldn't have it any other way.  Sure, the father of her children spends too much time with his friends.  Sure, her relatives are always in her business but also sure, she loves her family, her island and their traditions.  Now, when her daughter is old enough to talk, though, she asks SO MANY QUESTIONS!  What does a mamie do with such a child? This is a story of the love and turmoil between mothers and daughters in a world that is figuring out how to meld traditional ways with more modern ones.  It's a classic story but with a Tahitian style and vibe that made it so much fun to read!

I really love how this story immersed me a culture that was completely unfamiliar to me - how did I NOT KNOW that Tahiti was a French colony?  I mean, that's embarrassing, right?  But now I know!  And it is interesting how France, its language and ways, are a part of Tahitian life.  For me, though, this was a story about Materena's heart, about her adoration of and exasperation with her children and spouse, about finding her own way to manage all the parts of her life that truly matter to her.   It made me chuckle, it made me teary, I felt connected to this vast village of people who love each other and drive each other crazy.  Really fun read.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...