Monday, September 28, 2020

This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (audiobook)

 genre: science fiction

Two warring armies have been battling across time and both will only accept victory.  Among these two completely different civilizations are two individuals - Red and Blue.  Red and Blue have fought - they have fought and fought across centuries and threads of time but then, in the way that only love can, they have found something between them that doesn't want fighting.  What they find is so precious that Red and Blue are willing to give up everything - except each other - if only the rest of time and space would let it be so.  But time wars are too complicated for that sort of simplistic thinking.

THIS BOOK.  I finished with my heart racing and tears in my eyes, it touched me that much.  The truth is that it took me too long to keep Red and Blue straight in my head - I wish I'd tried harder at first, to learn how to distinguish them and the different cultures they've grown in.  But the epistolary nature of this incredible work definitely helped and, for me, really opened up their worlds as they explain, in their own terms, who they are and how they came to be that way.  Their relationship is intricate and serpentine, it slithers through time and geography, through battlefields and engagements with the enemy (each other) - it's wary and hopeful and hopeless, all at the same time.  The LANGUAGE of this book is exquisite, almost painfully so, and the world building and the complexities of the conclusion, it just all was exactly right and almost on the edge of what my brain could keep track of.  Like, the sort of book I really should read again.  And I'd want to.  It's not for everyone but it was definitely for me.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...