Saturday, September 26, 2020

The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais

genre: fiction

Hassan is born into an Indian family that has, at its heart, a love of good food and good company. When tragic circumstances lead to a decision to leave India, his fate is changed forever as his family buys a home in the French Alps, across the street from a famous French restaurant. With a passion for cooking and a true aptitude for the kitchen, Hassan ends up working in his father’s Indian restaurant, which just happens to be on the main floor of their new French house. Of course, drama ensues, between East and West, between local and immigrant, between old and new. And through it all, Hassan learns that he’ll handle anything as long as it means he can can continue his beloved culinary work .

I bought this at a thrift store because I’d enjoyed the movie that was made based on it and the first 2/3 is really very similar. A little formulaic, maybe, but I enjoyed it, even if so many of the ingredients and recipes are unfamiliar. The last third I don't think is in the movie at all, and it went slower for me.  Also, although it was in first person, I never really felt like I got to KNOW Hassan, not really. His issues were blithely mentioned, but I wish we could've dug a little deeper into THAT journey.  However, as a food book and as a book about cultures clashing and one man figuring out what he can do well - it's good enough for that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...