Thursday, September 17, 2020

March (book one) by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell

 genre: graphic memoir

John Lewis lived a life of service to the community and the nation and this graphic novel illustrates his experiences and early memories.  We watch his introduction to the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, we see him train in the principles of nonviolence and participate in lunch counter sit-ins.  My sister said it right when I asked her if this book made her cry (like it did me) and she said it was a punch to the gut. That's exactly what it is, as we see John figure out how he himself can behave in a world that dismisses him because of his color - and decide what to do to change it.   The subject matter worked so well with the art/format, this is one library book I'll be purchasing for my family. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...