Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Wren Hunt by Mary Watson

genre: young adult fantasy

Wren's life in Ireland has many layers.  There's the village life she lives with her grandfather and loving neighbors. But she's also an Augur, a see-er of patterns and enemy to all Judges.  When the power struggle between Augurs and Judges nears a breaking point, Wren ends up undercover among Judges on their own turf, trying to solve a problem with stories woven in legend and mystery.  

This is a fantastical book - with a kind of magic that seems to flutter in and out of reach. Wren is complicated and very adolescent in her choices sometimes. I liked the Irish setting and the folklore wrapped up in the world building.  For me, though, there was too many plot holes and loose ends to feel satisfied when I was finished.  Maybe there will be a sequel to tie some of that up but although I did enjoy this, I probably won't read more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...