Sunday, July 19, 2020

Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Norsrat (audiobook)

genre: nonfiction, cooking


I do not consider myself a "cook."  Not really at all.  I can make stuff, but it's really just following a recipe and I can't  even do that all that well.  I am not DRAWN to cooking, necessarily, and I wouldn't have chosen to read this if it wasn't for book club.  That being said, this book about the four essential elements to creating good food in the kitchen, was surprisingly interesting.  Her palate is very different than mine and some of the foods and ideas she talks about in this book are completely foreign, but the essential ideas in here are simple and direct.  The organization of the book worked for me and while I didn't mind her narration and the pdfs included are super helpful, this really is probably a book I should've read in a paper copy so I could mark it up.

Was a lot of it just beyond me right now?  Yes.  I don't have the time with my kids at home to make crazy sauces or wildly experiment with taste.  I just need to quickly make some stuff that hopefully at least one person besides myself will eat.  However, I like how she broke things down and I have some real takeaways that I appreciate, enough that I would consider buying this book and reading it again later. 






1 comment:

Marg said...

I think that I have this on audiobook...I think! It will be interesting to listen to at some point.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...