Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Moon of the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice

39082248
genre: adult fiction

In the wilds of northern Canada, a group of Anishinaabe live an isolated yet communal existance.  Life is slow-paced and peaceful enough until the day the power goes off - and no one knows why.  And the longer they don't know why, the more the tribal council has to make decisions for the community - and one of the hardest decisions comes quickly: what to do with this white stranger who has shown up?  And wants to stay?

I started this with absolutely no idea what it was about!  I think if I'd had known it was an apocalyptic novel I might've waited to read it but I'm glad I didn't wait.  I found the sparse narrative paced well, for the most part, and I actually really invested in this story of a village that is quite suddenly isolated and has to figure out how to survive.  I appreciated the cultural piece, most particularly, as the members of tribe try to keep their traditions (or not) in a place they did not choose.  I thought the writing was good and I'd read something else by this author.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...