Friday, May 15, 2020

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow

genre: young adult speculative fiction

January has grown up the ward of the wealthy and eccentric Mr. Locke.  Growing up feeling both safe and taken care of as well as stifled and lonely, in Mr. Locke's huge house, she sometimes feels like one of his special treasures herself.  But when one special book makes January's world all of a sudden so much larger and more intricate than she'd imagined, she knows a solid, quiet life will not be enough.  There are too many questions to be answered, too many doors to explore.

Okay.  I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK.  From the first chapter, January was my person.  I loved her spirit and adoration of the written word, I loved how books can be their own kind of door and I loved that I wasn't ever sure what was going to happen next.  The world building, the characters of color who were fleshed out, intelligent and aware of the way their world failed them, the authentic coming-of-age angst and self-actualization it felt "magical" to me in a way that novel just hasn't in a while.  If there were faults, they just didn't bother me enough to even slow me down.  The Ten Thousand Doors of January hit the spot for me in a deep and resonant way that a novel hasn't in a while. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...