Thursday, January 2, 2020

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (audiobook)

genre: fantasy

A bee.  A key.  A sword.  A book-loving graduate student who refuses to resist a mystery.  A special place below the earth where stories are kept and where their keepers keep watch.  A story within a story within a story that takes readers to the edge of the known world into one where the tales we tell become the reality we can live.

Woah.

The first thing to note is that Erin Morgenstern is a masterful writer. The plot here is so complex that, if I am honest, I wasn't always 100% sure of where I was, but what I DID know was that I liked it.  I liked every intentional word, I liked when I was able to make connections and see the ideas that were woven in from one end to the other.  I loved the images and the lyricism of the narrative even if I couldn't always understand how I got from one place to the next.  I'm not sure if I had read it in a hard copy if I might've had an easier time to keep things straight, having a full cast of voices certainly helped but I knew sometimes that even seeing different fonts might've helped even more.

The Starless Sea is a love letter to stories, to the people who read them and the people that tell them.  I wish I hadn't needed so much hand holding to keep all the pieces straight in my mind but I cannot deny that this book casts a powerful spell.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...