Thursday, January 23, 2020

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West (audiobook)

genre: contemporary young adult romance

Caymen Meyers lives above the doll shop that her mother owns and operates, and it's just the two of them, like it's always been.  Living in a coastal California town, Caymen sees her fair share of rich people and she knows one thing: rich boys are NOT for her. Except then Xander walks into the doll shop and even the sarcastic and practical Caymen sees there is more to Xander that just money - but that doesn't mean it's not super complicated.

Truth: this is a cute and engaging story that I enjoyed right away and found totally entertaining.  Caymen's sarcasm is pretty impressive and she's a smart, relatable character.  The doll store setting is something I've never seen before, that's for sure, and I liked that it was different.  There were a couple plot twists that kept things interesting and the romance is tender and fun.  I did like to think a little bit about contemporary "classist" issues and how those things can affect relationships and life itself.

Also truth: some things drove me crazy.  Plot holes, for sure.  Sometimes just too cheesy for me.  Emotions swing back and forth crazy fast in typical romance novel style, which can exhaust me and make me feel ready for things to just RESOLVE already.  Some of the secondary characters felt just too nice and caricatured but I think that's me wanting more from this book than what it is: some fluffy brain candy to just enjoy for the ride and appreciate for what it is.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...