Saturday, October 5, 2019

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E Pearson

genre: young adult fantasy

Lia is a princess, and an unhappy one at that.  She knows she's a pawn in her father's arsenal and on the day she is to be married for the safety of her kingdom, Princess Lia takes off, happy to remove the mantle of princess and ready to live a simple life.

But life's never simple, is it?

In her new home, two very different men begin to give attention Lia, making her new non-princess life both exciting and complicated, especially because while we as readers know their intentions, Lia doesn't.  And that could be enough to spoil whatever new happiness she's found.

This is a LONG book.  I read it on my kindle and couldn't believe how long it took me to read it, but I never was ready to give it up.  I invested in Lia and the dark undercurrents I could tell were brewing.  There's a deeper story here, beyond just what Lia is experiencing and there is a lot to set up by the time it's cliffhanger finish arrives.  There is a magic we don't quite understand, a barbarian kingdom ready to ignore its boundaries and an ancient world whose stories and remnants are everywhere.  I really did like it and when I got to the end I wanted more.  I like strong heroines with a cause bigger than themselves and while there wasn't THAT much actual romance, I have a feeling there is more of that to come.  I'd read more!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...