Monday, October 14, 2019

The Girl in the Picture by Alexandra Monir

genre: young adult paranormal

Oyster Bay Prep is the prestigious boarding school where pretty boy Chace, a congressman's son, showed up at the beginning of Nicole's junior year, changing everything.  And what we learn first about Chance is that he's now dead.  What could Nicole, mousy genius musician, have to do with that?  And what about Lana, his girlfriend?  When a picture is found with both Nicole and Chance in it, the world starts making assumptions, but what REALLY happened?

This novel is told from three viewpoints: Nicole, Lana and, less so, Chace.  It's pretty cliche (nerdy violinist, not-that-smart-but-pretty popular girl etc) and I did NOT know there would be a paranormal element, which threw me, but I have to admit I was engaged in the story!  I do like boarding school stories and the high school drama can certainly entertain.  This one gets three stars for making eager to find out what happened to Chace and for keeping me guessing until the end with its mostly-believable reveal. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...