Sunday, October 20, 2019

Easter Island by Jennifer Vanderbes

genre: historical fiction

Two capable and curious women arrive on Easter Island in very different circumstances. In 1913, Elsa lands on its barren shores in a boat with her new husband and sister. In the early 1970s, Greer, a botanist with her PhD focused on ancient pollen, has come to Easter Island to study its early ecological story. What these two women learn about this rugged, isolated land and what they learn about themselves, will tell a remarkable story of trust gained and lost, of what we dream of but then what we must adapt to and the insatiable curiosity of those committed to studying the world around them.

Wow. This book. It took me away from my life and to another world, a world of mysteries and ancient flowers, giant statues and the people who carved them, life's complicated relationships and the strong women who had to weather them. I loved the threads that tied these two women and their time periods together and even the tiny thread of a German fleet caught in the ocean at the beginning of a war, I just found myself transported. Even though it was a slow story, the narration and the depth, the intrigue of all the flora and fauna scientific inquiry, just refused to let me give it up. So glad I didn’t.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...