Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Untouched by Jen Atkinson

genre: young adult fantasy

Having been homeschooled all her life, starting high school for her senior year is more than a little daunting for Thankful Tenys.  It's REALLY daunting.  So when she meets the super standoffish Liam, that all the kids in her small town school are convinced is cursed, she knows it is in her best interest to just stay out of his way.  And yet, there is something about him and his "otherness" that really resonates with her own loneliness.  So she doesn't stay away - and Thankful learns enough about Liam and those "curse" rumors to start making her own choice about this untouchable boy.

It's a fast read and I particularly appreciated Thankful having a challenging home life with a sick parent, something you don't see super often in young adult books.  The romance is cute and for the most part I believed where the story took me - up until about the last 1/5.  Then it just became too Twilighty for me (and it had already reminded me of Twilight enough to make me roll my eyes a little).  I also found myself frustrated by Liam's constant growling, eyebrow knitting and Adam's apple bobbing.  I wanted more from him, a little more depth.  And it's hard for me to imagine a young man that is always growling.  Despite that, I did read it fast and there were a few good plot twists that I didn't totally see coming.   Less picky readers might like it a lot better than me.

1 comment:

Jessica @ Booked J said...

I am super curious about this one but the Twilight thing, even slightly like Twilight, kind of puts me off so I'm nervous! But, I'll probably still check it out and hope for the best. Nice review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...