Saturday, December 15, 2018

The Plastic Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

genre: young adult fantasy

As a polymaker's apprentice, Alvie Brechenmacher cannot wait to begin to learn the magic of plastic craft. With her mind always spinning with questions and measurements, she just knows that a life of creativity and learning is exactly what she wants. Learning polymagic, its spells and uses, is the reason she made her way to London - but it's not the only thing awaiting her there. Friendships and (maybe? hopefully?) romance, not to mention a rival polymaker who keeps her on her toes.

This was a delightful book.  I have already read the first book in this series, Paper Magician, but I'd forgotten essentially all of it and I didn't feel the least bit confused - this doesn't need to be read as part of a series, it's fine as a stand alone.  Alvie is so clever, such a strong willed and intelligent protagonist - not perfect but with a deep sense of herself and what she's capable of.  The romance was light but lovely.  I like the magical world building here, it's not incredibly intricate but believable and entertaining.  I did guess one plot point rather early on but still, there was a lot of action I didn't quite expect and I fell for all of it.  I really liked the writing here, the language surprised me sometimes, with lovely images.  For example, "so much excitement flashed through her she was surprised it didn't spill from her like water" and "her belly was filled with popcorn kernels and Bennet was the fire beneath them," images that just rounded out Alvie as a spirited and lively young woman.  No, it wasn't life-changing, but I had a grand time reading it.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...