Thursday, August 2, 2018

Insight Guides UTAH by John Gattuso

genre: travel, non-fiction

When I realized we really were moving to Utah, I knew I should give it at least ONE book, to get my head in the game and to learn what I could.  What a fascinating place with a rich history.  Native Americans, Mormon settlers, ranchers and cowboys, farmers and explorers.  The natural spaces here are so unique, as dated at this particular edition is, it's gotten me very excited about all the things there are to see and do in my new state.

There are a lot of colorful pictures.  You get history and culture, a lot of background.  It is NOT user-friendly as a guide to take with you, however.  Only each chapter has a map but it does include maps of the National Parks with a lot of detail and suggestions.  The back of the book has an index for places to eat/stay/go but each chapter is really designed to teach you about that area, with specific tips for getting around and itinerary ideas but in a general sense.  It definitely is a before-you-go, planning-stage guide, but a good one.

It took me months to read it - it's not particularly gripping or anything, but it was balanced and did a good job of putting the settling of the Mormons in perspective without hanging heavy on it.  I got a LOT of ideas for places to see, I've dog-earred probably 1/6 of the pages, but since it's so dated (the only just-Utah-and-not-just-its-National-Parks book I could find!)  I'll have go to online and make sure they're all still a thing :) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...