Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer (audiobook)


genre: historical fiction


When Elinor leaves her home to accept a position as a governess in a Sussex home, she's prepared for the drudgery of that life. But when she accidentally alights in the wrong coach, she arrives at the home of the dying Eustace Cheviot, a young man whose vices and choices have led to his near-demise.

Somehow, the quick-talking and excessively sensible Mr Ned Carlyon, Eustace's cousin, convinces Elinor that the best thing for EVERYONE would be if she would just quickly marry Eustace so he can adjust his will accordingly before he dies. Not really knowing HOW this situation truly occurs, it does. Elinor is a widow before she knows it and finds herself knee-deep in a kind of intrigue she was wholly unprepared for.

Heyer is a genius at her craft. This book is witty, comical and had me laughing out-loud. It's more mysterious than other novels I've read by her and I admit that I think listening to this one made it even more funny than it would've been otherwise. The reader makes two characters, in particular, so incredibly funny with their simpering and nonsensical ways. I really enjoyed myself with this one and although I always want the romance to arrive sooner than it does, it's always sweet when it happens.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...