Thursday, August 17, 2017

Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson

genre: young adult

Carter lives in the aptly named town of Little, California.  She's spending the summer before her senior year making sandwiches and waiting tables at her dad's cafe.  When Adam Jakes, teenage moviestar, comes to town to film a movie, her quiet summer gets far more complicated.  Family circumstances lead Carter to make a crazy decision: agree to be Adam's pretend girlfriend for the length of the shoot.

This was cute.  That's the best word for it.  I liked all the star/astronomy threads and I liked Carter's relationships with her friends.  The dialogue is pretty sharp and the plot moved along well enough.   A few plot points fell a little flat and the ending was sudden in a predictable way, but still cute.  That word again :)     I really did like Carter's arc about her future, some deep thoughts there about talents and hobbies and how complicated it can be on the cusp of growing up.  The romance is pretty predictable but I still liked this one enough to read it in a day.  It's brain candy but sometimes I need that in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you-- we all need some "brain candy" from time to time. I sometimes read very dark or gritty stories, so I need a light, fluffy tale to mix things up. Sounds cute. I just read New Leash on Love, which was sweet and light, but after a string of dark and depressing books, it hit the spot. Thanks for a good review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...