Saturday, August 5, 2017

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

genre: NEW adult fantasy

Feyre survived her harrowing experiences Under the Mountain, but at a very steep cost.  Not only is she in a newly made body but her heart feels shattered.  Broken and depressed, being with Tamlin SHOULD make her feel safe again, but it doesn't.  And it doesn't help that Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court, is now calling in his bargain to spend part of every month with him in his court of darkness.  When she starts experiencing a power she doesn't understand, Feyre knows that she needs to learn more than how to be politically suave and host dinner parties - but with the world becoming an ever more dangerous place, that's not going to be easy.

First off, this was an absolute page-turner for me.  I loved what happened with these characters and all the new ones I met.  Feyre is an intense and sympathetic woman who learns a lot about herself and what she's capable of - both good and bad.  I appreciated that what she went through Under the Mountain affected her so deeply and how hard it was for her to work her way through.  Second off, I need to note that this is NOT a book for young adults.  It has many graphic sexual scenes that I wouldn't hand to a young teenager.  Sometimes it bordered on gratuitous and it was frustrating because people would be having important, plot-relevant conversations about things while having detailed sex and so when you skipped you missed stuff.

Overall, though, when I get past that, I couldn't get enough of the story.  The magical world-building, the abilities, the romance.  I loved it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...