Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3) by Laini Taylor (audiobook)

genre: paranormal fantasy


For the second time I have listened to this third volume and for the second time I have been astonished.

The breadth of this story, the ambitiousness of its scope - it's almost TOO much, the way all the tiny pieces fall into place with such precision. The parts that made me weep the first time, with their beauty, made me weep again. For myself, I especially love the creative particulars, the images that astonish me with their rightness even in the midst of so much death and hopelessness.

But it is those characters that don't just overcome hopeless but DEFY it, refuse to let hope die even when there is no reason to do so, THAT I love. This is a story of war and the price of peace and the willingness to be grateful for whatever redemption you can muster.

It's got its teeth in me, this series of books. I don't doubt that I'll listen again someday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...