Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas (The Elemental Trilogy) (audiobook)

genre: young adult fantasy


I have already told you to go listen to The Burning Sky and The Perlilous Sea.

Really, you should, because The Immortal Heights is the dramatic conclusion (I'm not even exaggerating!) of this trilogy and those two must be listened to first.

Sometimes you listen to a series of books that entertain in their own way but it feels episodic and choppy.  And then sometimes you find a gem of a series that is truly just one long story - The Harry Potter Series and The Daughter of Smoke and Bone come to mind.  At the beginning its as though a thousand piece puzzle was thrown onto the floor by one of my three year old sons.  And slowly pieces begin to be put together, things that astound and amaze, ideas that feel right and true and powerful, things just FIT, things you hadn't imagined - pieces from past and present that rearrange and reconnect to make the future possible.  By the end of your puzzle-venture you stand back and are so pleased with the overall picture, how every little detail fit into the whole.

I love books like that.

I don't even want to write anything down except that I really didn't know what was going to happen - I really didn't even guess how it would work but I BELIVE the way that it did happen and THAT is the best kind of ending to an epic story.  It is war, it is being afraid and doing what's right anyway, it's giving your life for a bigger purpose, it's horror and madness and compatriots and wicked spell casting.  It's magic and it's love.  The love story is the perfect accent to this tale of a perilous journey, an attempt to free the Domain from the grip of the Bane.

I'm gushing.  I know it.  But it was that satisfying.  If I am honest, it's not QUITE as deep as the two series I previously mentioned but just barely and I enjoyed the reading (listening!  SUCH A GOOD LISTEN!) experience as much.   If it is making me walk around my house with a headphone in one ear for days as I try to take care of my crazy life, then it has done it's job.

Sigh.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...