Friday, May 9, 2014

Starglass by Phoebe North

genre: young adult dystopian science fiction

Terra has known nothing but life aboard Asherah, a ship that is taking a Jewish community to a far planet for refuge from a dying earth.  For generations, Terra's family has been born, lived and died in space but Terra is just finishing her adolescence when they finally reach orbit around their new home.  All is not well shipboard, however, and not just within Terra's family.  As Tara receives her assigned vocation and begins life as an adult, it's very clear that there is restlessness and secrets beneath the calm and controlled surface.

I was engaged enough at the beginning to want to keep reading and even when it was due at the library, I renewed it to finish it.  It just didn't amaze me, not until the very very end and then, boom, it was over. Without hardly any resolution. I did just check and there is a sequel, so that makes me feel better about that.  Terra isn't particularly lovable and there wasn't a single character that I really feel like rooting for beyond her.  But, I did find myself interested in the story, I think that's why I finished it.  I like revolutionary plots and there are a few good twists that kept things moving along.   I also liked the Jewish underpinnings of their culture and that way she reconstructed traditions.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it and pushed it too hard.  I might pick up the sequel if the reviews are good.


note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...