Monday, May 12, 2014

In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo

genre: mixed genre, young adult graphic novel and paranormal mystery

Something evil is afoot.  Something very evil.  Something that is somehow affecting the lives of two brothers in New York and two sisters in Maine as well as one lonely boy who lives in the shadows. When all their stories intersect, some creepiness is going to go down.  No doubt about it.

Ooooh!  Something new and unique!    It's a graphic novel and a novel in one, similar to The invention of Hugo Cabret but this time, the graphic novel is a different plot than the text and we spend the book trying to tie them together.   It's a mystery, really. A mild thrillerish story that kept me totally engaged.  The text is just lovely - the characters are fleshed out and intriguing, the writing itself never took my attention away from the action, it just flowed so smoothly.   The art is incredible, the text-less story the pictures tell is such a puzzle that when I finished the book, I had to go back and read those sections again to see what I missed.   And I didn't guess it until a good way through, so yay for that.

Very entertaining.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...