Sunday, June 23, 2013

Midwinter Blood by Marcus Sedgwick

genre: young adult

It's 2073 when Eric Seven arrives at Blessed Island and from the start, something just feels...off.  And although the people he meets while beginning his research are friendly enough, he can't shake the idea that he's missing something or, more accurately, like maybe these somethings have happened before.  It doesn't take long until we, the readers, realize that Eric and the woman he meets, Merle, have known each other in other lives.  At each phase of the moon, in different periods of time, Eric and Merle are reincarnated and their paths cross in ways both beautiful and frightening.

This is a cleverly devised novel, to be sure.  Almost like a series of short stories threaded together through these two people.   The island itself is creepy and intriguing and the writing is succinct and lovely (also, sometimes I little freaky).  So many adjectives I'm using, yes?  While I wasn't completely blown away (I think I always wanted more from their "love" story), it's the first time in a long time that I wanted to read while pushing the stroller, I was that engaged.  That's four stars to me.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...