Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley

genre: mystery

 Flavia!  You're at it again.  This time, our story begins at a small town fair in which you and the gypsy palm reader suddenly find yourselves intimately acquainted.  When the gypsy is attacked while staying on the property at Buckshaw, Flavia is, of course, immediately involved in trying to solve the crime behind the backs of the local constabulary.  Before she's even had a moment to truly assess the evidence, another crime is committed, bringing the excitement level to a new high.  While traipsing all about her own land as well as the villages beyond, Flavia uses her powers of deduction and love of chemistry once again to solve the mystery.

I want her to be my little sister, that Flavia.  She is hysterical and I know that a good part of it is the genius of the reader of the audiobook, Jayne Enthistle.  When she calls her sister, "the hag" or says "damn and double damn" I cannot help but chuckle.  While the mystery is absolutely intriguing and so well written, I mostly just want to spend time with my favorite literary 11 year old.  Her inner monologue is so very, very clever.

Flavia, I will see you again.

I promise.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I need to get back to this series - you're right, Flavia is a delight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...