Friday, December 14, 2012

Cool Dead People by Jane O'Boyle

genre: nonfiction

So, the subtitle of this book is "Obituaries of Real Folks We Wish We'd Met a Little Sooner."

This is a delightful little volume, really just a compilation of two-page histories of some pretty incredible but virtually unknown personalities. Conservationists, Code-Talkers, poker players, entrepreneurs and musicians - all just people who change the world in tiny but important ways. 

They aren't REALLY obituaries, not the ones you'd read in the paper.  They are more like life-summaries, incredibly readable.  And you don't need to read it all in one sitting, it's great for a few minutes here and there when you've got time.  I like that it made me think about how important our lives are, that just because we don't end up on a reality tv show or splayed on the front page of the newspaper, that doesn't mean our life doesn't have significance to someone.

It didn't change my life or anything but I can't think of a thing that really annoyed me about it.  If you like this sort of thing, I'd totally recommend it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...