Thursday, September 17, 2009

BBAW book recommendations:


I haven't been so much playing along with BBAW due to a thousand reasons, but I like this idea. The topic of Day 4:

But let’s talk about that book you know, the one you discovered only because you read about it on a book blog and then you realized you couldn’t live without it! And then you read it and you loved it so hard! Tell us about it and about the blogger (or bloggers!) that introduced the book to you!

1. A Curse Dark as Gold - Melissa at Book Nut. Oh man, I do LOVE a good fairytale retelling - this had the perfect amount of love and fairytale and history to make it delicious. Melissa rocks at helping me know all the good YA stuff that I must put on my list. Bless her.

2. Graceling - Erin at Off the Shelf. I just happen to be lucky enough to be this girl's sister and WOW does she read like a fiend! She is my go-to person for just about everything, but especially book recommendations. She told me I would love this girl-power story and she was right. I know that if she loves it, I will too.

3. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Anna at Diary of an Eccentric. I read about this all over the web, but this one sticks out to me. Anna reads all kinds of stuff, but we've got a connection because we've got daughters the same age - plus, she does a great job with her reviews.

4. Crown Duel - Bookwyrm Chrysalis - this blog gives exceptional reviews of ya stuff, she's increased my tbr list in a wonderful way.

5. 84, Charing Cross Road - Tricia at Library Queue. OH book-lovers will love this one. Tricia and I have similar tastes also - she reads ya and contemporary stuff too.

6. Hanna's Daughters - Dawn at My Thoughts Exactly. Dawn's blog is a wonderful mix of real-life parenting, music, books, and laugh out loud humor. I found this gem of a multi-generational story at the thrift store and her previous recommendation made me grab it up.

This was fun :)

8 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for mentioning me and for the kind words. I'm having problems pulling together my post because I don't really remember where I heard about some of the books I've read. You did a great job, and now I've got some more titles and blogs to check out.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

morninglight mama said...

So glad you enjoyed Hanna's Daughters-- my mother-in-law actually passed that book on to me, and I believe I still have her paperback here somewhere! I didn't do today's BBAW post, but I'm sure if I did, I would have mentioned your blog at LEAST once or twice! :)

Tricia said...

I added one book to my TBR and one blog to my GR from this list!
Thank you!!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Yup, I think I added The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society to my wishlist after reading Anna's review as well. I love how blogging enhances people's reading!

Melissa said...

More fiends! We need a t-shirt for that, too: "Reading fiend!"

Anyway. Thanks for the shout-out. Curse was one of my favorite books in the past couple of years, though now I have no idea where I got it from.

Liz said...

I can't say I'm "loving it so hard" yet, because I just started it last night, but I read about "Whiskey Gulf" on a web site, loved the sound of it, put it on hold and picked it up a few days ago. I'm hoping for good things!

Liz said...

Whoops! Here's a link to "Whiskey Gulf."
www.whiskeygulf.com

bermudaonion said...

I've been bad about keeping track of where I got my recommendations, but I'm hoping to rectify that soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...