Sunday, August 23, 2009

review: I Used to Know That - stuff you forgot from school by Caroline Taggart

genre: non-fiction
rating: 4/5

What a snappy little book! It's divided into sections, as if I was still in high school and had to walk from one class to another: English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography and General Studies. Some sections I read with relish from beginning to end (English and Literature) some I read part/skimmed part (Math and Science) and the others I happened to read aloud to my husband in the car. The history section was so interesting and the topics (mostly conflicts) were condensed in such a way that you got the basic plot PLUS why it was important, which half the time my husband and I don't ever even remember being taught in the first place. We also played a little jeopardy-type quiz - do you know your explorers? I only remembered having a huge test on them in the 5th grade and that's about it :)

It's the kind of book you want to have sitting around in a waiting area or a bathroom - it's clearly written, never wordy and full of interesting fact that maybe won't change your life, but might make you feel a little more intelligent next time you're in a conversation with someone who really knows their stuff.

also in the series: My Grammar and I or Should It Be Me? by Caroline Taggart
I Before E (Except After C): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff by Judy Parkinson

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I have this in my TBR pile - I'll have to pull it out and stick it in the bathroom.

morninglight mama said...

Oh boy, does this sound like something I'd LOVE, although Scott's not as gracious about playing quiz games that I ADORE and he's not so much a fan of... :) Putting it on shelfari so I don't forget about it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...