Sunday, May 11, 2008

Elephant and Crocodile by Max Velthuijs

book 3 of 8 for the Hans Christian Andersen Award Challenge

I just didn't find this a spectacular book (it was translated into English, however :). Elephant and Crocodile are neighbors who drive each other crazy with the volume of their music (Crocodile is a violin player and Elephant plays the trumpet). The middle of the book is spent with them getting mad at each other and trying to get "even." I bet you can guess how they resolve the problem.

The moral, of working together to make something beautiful, is a good moral of course. I just felt like the story focused a lot on how they hated each other and were inconsiderate, and then we got two pages of them being friends. The art is okay - pretty flat and cartoonish, my son thought it was funny. And really, bother my 3 year old and 5 year old liked it, so that must count for something.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...