Sunday, October 6, 2024

Cassandra Speaks by Elizabeth Lesser (audiobook)

genre: non-fiction

The stories we hear as we grow up - the myths we are told and then retell, the fairy tales and even the books we read, those stories are have paved the ways we’ve learned to make sense of the world. In Cassandra Speaks, the author makes us look at these stories and asks the hard question: where are the strong and capable women?  Is there a way to change not just the story we are writing now but the way we SEE ourselves, can we create the kind of change that can make the world a more equitable place for all people to find the power to live the life they dream of?  Elizabeth Lesser thinks so.

There were parts of this book that super resonated - so much so that I was taking notes and writing things down.  Lesser articulated some feminist ideas I'd never thought of before.  Other parts were disjointed or repetitive.  What really interested me was the idea of how much everyone misses out on when only the men are telling the story and running the show. I know this is a basic feminism principle but it hit home for me in new ways.  I liked the meditation piece, particularly, and while maybe other authors have done this better, this was a fast and engaging listen for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...