Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Sandwhich by Catherine Newman (audiobook)

genre: contemporary fiction

Rocky has so been looking forward to her arrival at the Cape Cod beach town where they spend a week every summer.  She loves the smells and the sounds.  She loves her people, so fiercely.  She loves the tradition and nostalgia of it all.  This week with spend with Rocky at the Cape is full of the kind of gentle family drama, the secrets told and kept, the old disagreements unearthed - everything that makes a family real.  There is no grand plot, no wild disaster, there are just people who love each other who are always trying to show up for each other and sometimes failing.  Like real life.

I laughed out loud, more than once.  If you are not a perimenopausal woman, the humor may not strike you the way it struck me, but I found Rocky's inner dialogue so funny.   I found Rocky to be very relatable, honestly, and probably part of that is me being in a similar stage of life.  I loved her gay and proud daughter, her forgiving husband, her quirky parents and her pleasant son.  I mourned her losses and the choices she made that caused her own pain. I especially liked Rocky's musings on being a parent, in all its iterations.  She GOT what it was for me, too, the exhaustion, the exhilaration, the stop-you-in-your-tracks love. I felt like the pacing was good and I really always wanted to be listening.  This is one of my five star reads this year for the comforting and humorous way this book settled right into me.  It won't be for everyone but it was definitely for me.

Content warning: language, adult humor, pregnancy loss 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...