Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Fury by Alex Michaelides (audiobook)

 genre: contemporary mystery

When Lana Farrar decides she needs to escape the London dreariness, she brings her friends with her for a weekend at her Greek island summer home.  As an ex-movie star, her Lana's friends are quirky creatures with secrets of their own and from the beginning of this tale, we know that one person doesn't leave that island alive.  What we don't know is who - or why.

I jumped on this as soon as I heard it was coming out because I'd enjoyed The Silent Patient so much.  This one wasn't as smooth or enjoyable of a read, unfortunately.  The narrative style was unique and I liked it to an extent, but all the back and forth and labyrinthine dead ends ended up feeling heavy and overdone.  It needed MORE linear plot, in my opinion.  There also wasn't one single likable character by the end of the book, which just left me feeling a bit flat.  Bottom line: I was interested enough to be engaged in the whole thing but it just really was lacking the sort of zing I want in a psychological thriller.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...