Wednesday, February 28, 2024

This Impossible Brightness by Jessica Bryant Klagmann

genre: speculative fiction

The hole in Alma’s heart will not close. After loosing her most important person, to stay out in a crowded society is more than her heart can handle, especially in a world on the brink of environmental disaster. So she escapes to a wild island off the coast of Canada to live as solitary an existence as she possibly can. Except there is something…unique about the location of this island that makes it collect old sounds and radio broadcasts. That uniqueness will tap into something special inside Alma and connect her to this barren place.

I didn’t know anything about this when I started (for some reason, I also thought the author was different? I literally just started reading it off my Kindle and knew nothing.). I ended up finding it to be a really interesting and thought provoking read. The connection to the land, the way we can be connected to the people we love, how essential it is that someone knows our story - it mostly read quick for me. It rambled a little bit and Alma is an emotionally complicated character, a bit hard to connect to, but by the end I cared about her and the place she called home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...