Thursday, December 21, 2023

Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman

 genre: historical fiction/biography

Like nearly everyone else, I have a pretty good idea of who Vincent Van Gogh was, maybe I knew a little more than most.  I've been to the traveling immersive exhibit and I've marveled at his paintings in many different museums.  But did I KNOW him?  I'm not sure I can say I did because I didn't know about his brother, Theo.  Theo who is not just a brother but a confidant, supporter, best friend.  

This book is, like the author suggests in the end notes, is like a walk through a gallery of their lives together with all the beautiful glowing sketches of their intimacy and all the dark brooding paintings of their arguments and frustration.  Because being Vincent's brother is no small task.  And while there is SO MUCH to love in this book, what was MOST tender to me was the way that Vincent's mental illness was so gently handled, how he was given grace and compassion even when he was clearly deeply unwell.  His genius and his illness are both just a part of who he is, along with his deep desire to be a good friend, to help others, to be a light to other artists and to leave something behind that will make the world better.

I want to gush about the writing for a minute.  The narrative style, how it shifts and changes, how the paintings themselves are a part of Vincent's puzzle, the way certain ideas are threaded throughout, it rang so full and rich to me.  More than once I felt so tender that I wept as I watched Vincent and his beloved brother navigate all the challenges that life brought to them.  I don't even think you have to really care much about Vincent or art at all and you would still find a lovely and heartwrenching story within these pages.  

This one will stay in my memory, I know.  They both left the world better than they found it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...