Friday, April 21, 2023

Finding Me by Viola Davis (audiobook)

 genre: memoir

This incredible memoir takes us from Viola's early years in extreme poverty in Rhode Island all the way to her successful career in childhood.  And what a journey it is, so full of pain and triumph that I was captivated from beginning to end.  I ached for what the little Viola had to suffer, and suffer is absolutely the word - but I was so impressed by her raw honesty about her trauma and the ways it showed up as she grew and tried to become the best, most authentic possible version of herself.  I loved that therapy was a part of her healing, that allowing herself to be loved was part of her healing and through it all: acting, her craft.  It's so important for me to remember the kind of WORK it to be an artist and I love how honest Viola is about how having talent is just one small part of it.  The racism she endures, the sexism, the family struggles - this book is so well written and her narration is PHENOMENAL.  My only complaint is that a couple times she gave a few spoilers (which wouldn't be spoilers if someone already knows about her private life but I didn't) but still five HUGE stars for the road she has walked and the story she told me about what she learned along the way.

note: LOTS of swears so just be prepared

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...