Saturday, February 11, 2023

Olga Dies Dreaming by Xóchitl González (audiobook)

 genre: contemporary fiction

When we meet Olga, the first thing we can appreciate is her fierce independence.  She owns her own wedding planning business.  She doesn't put up with nonsense from anyone.  Being raised by her grandma in Brooklyn after her mother leaves to fight for Puerto Rican political causes, Olga knows that she has to take care of herself. Well, herself and her brother, Prieto, who is also political, in a much more public way, and who has all kinds of secrets he's keeping.  As we go back and forth in time with Olge and Prieto, we learn why they've made the choices they do, we learn about the mismanagement of Puerto Rico, the hearts of those that love it, and the very different ways people make being Puerto Rican a part of their lives.

I actually really liked this one.  I cared about Olga and was able to see how her own trauma and brokenness affected her choices.  I liked Prieto's storyline, how he grew and came into himself.  I liked learning about PR and letting my brain simmer some big thoughts about American colonialism and the ways that, even in my own lifetime, our country has failed Puerto Rico.  I had a bit of a hard time with the going back and forth chronologically and while I understand why the letters from Olga's mom were a part of the book, they were also distracting and too long sometimes.

I feel like it deserves four stars for making me think and making me care.

Content Warning: sexual assult, language, sexual situations




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...