Sunday, January 29, 2023

Fever Year: The Killer Flu of 1918 by Don Brown

 genre: historical graphic nonfiction

Pretty much all I know about the 1918 Flu epidemic was what I saw on Downton Abbey and what I'd learned in one historical fiction novel that took place during that time period.  Yes, this is embarrassing but there you go.  I learned a bit more at the beginning of COVID as articles would compare OUR pandemic to THAT pandemic and even then, I still didn't comprehend the true HORROR of this killer flu. And don't get me wrong, COVID was absolutely horrific and I don't in any way dismiss the lives lost or livelihoods destroyed.  But at least we have scientists who had the tools to investigate in a real way.  At least we had real masks that actually made a difference and ventilators to prolong life.  

It's hard to see the ignorance of both political and medical leaders.  It's hard to see it as compared to what we saw in our own country LITERALLY ONE YEAR after this book was written.  When I looked at the publication date my heart felt strangely upset, knowing that the last lines about preparing for the next pandemic were penned before anyone had any idea of what was coming.

This is totally worth picking up, it'll take an hour to read but gives real context and makes history interesting.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...