Thursday, November 4, 2021

Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender (audiobook)

 genre: young adult contemporary fiction


Well, I read this book and my sister Erin wrote LITERALLY what I would say about it, so here are HER words:

This is one of those super tricky ones for me to rate. Here is what I would rate it if I could have several sets of stars to work with:

My personal enjoyment - 3 stars. I found it sometimes repetitive and didactic and at this time in my personal life I guess I needed more plot.

How important is this book to be in libraries and on shelves and for kids to know about it - 5 stars. This is one of those essential books where you see the intersectionality of so many groups: people of color, people who are transgender, people who are gay, and other identities as well. It is a really important story where there is fear and trauma to work through and mistakes made and growth happening. I felt like the character's struggles were real and he worked through them the way a teenager would. So it gets all the stars for being a diverse and important book.

So I will average it out at four and call it good.

For those who are sensitive to language there are a LOT of F bombs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...