Sunday, June 13, 2021

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (audiobook)

genre: fantasy

Vivienna and Siri, two sisters of Idris who have always known the role they would play in a land where their small highland kingdom has never felt safe from the shadow of the kingdom of Hallandren. Hallandren, where their gods live sequestered yet are accessible for occasional petitions for grace or a miracle. Hallandren, where the magic of colors (Biochroma) has been harnessed so that those with “breath” can perform all kinds of marvels. Hallandren, where a mighty God King will marry a princess of Idris and keep her as a queen to secure the treaties between their kingdoms.

But things don’t quite happen how Vivenna and Siri expect. And the one who thought she was off the hook ends up in a Hallandren palace and there are those who would prefer a war to peace and both Gods and suspicious strangers are plotting to an unknown end.

It’s a lot, this book. A LOT of world building to sort out, a LOT of fantastical history to process and a crazy intricate magical framework. But I LIKED that! The ideas of “colors” and “breaths” and “heightening” were interesting to me. I even found myself invested in how it would all sort out.  While I really only read this because it is one of my son's favorite books of all time and he wanted me to try at least ONE Sanderson book, I'm not sorry I give this my time.  For me, the dialogue is a bit too cheesy and repetitive but I cannot deny that the world of Warbreaker is a wide one.  

2 comments:

Kim Aippersbach said...

I keep thinking I should at least try Sanderson, since he's so popular, but I never know where to begin, and I don't really want to start a long series! I see on Goodreads that this one has a sequel that hasn't been written yet: is there a cliffhanger or does it have a decent ending?

Corinne said...

Decent ending! I don’t need more but I am glad that now I can say I’ve read one of his :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...