Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The Girl Who Stole an Elephant by Nizrana Farook

 genre: early middle grade

When Chaya sees a problem she solves it - using whatever means necessary, ethical or no.  Most of the first part of the book is Chaya stealing in order to help others (one of my sons likened her to Robin Hood) and the rest of the book trying to get out of the messes she's made.  Set on the island of Serendib (Sri Lanka), Chaya and two friends have a pretty incredible adventure in their village and in the jungle nearby as they try to put things to rights.

I read a review copy of this book outloud to my two eight year old sons.  It's great for a read aloud in that the chapters are quite short and there is a lot of action.  As an adult, though, I didn't love Chaya as a character.  She's a thief and a bully - and although she does start to be a better friend by the end, she never really stops being - or even caring if she is - a thief.  I did like the elephant and the jungle setting, but the resolution at the end felt super sudden, even for a children's book.  Ah well.  My boys really did enjoy it so while I'd give it two stars, I'm giving it three for the read aloud experience. 



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...