Thursday, November 26, 2020

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

 genre: fiction

When Nora decides to end her own life, it isn't without considerable thought.  She knows exactly what she is giving up and how little there is to look forward to. An ending is exactly what she wants.  But it's not what she gets - because it turns out that between the end of life and the beginning of death, there is a library.  This library is full of possibilities - NORA'S possibilities, and it's her responsibility to try on these alternate lives before moving on to whatever comes next.  

It is a rare book that makes me look so introspectively into my own life - to truly wonder about my own choices and regrets and pick them apart along with Nora.  There is so much depth here, so much that hit me in the right place at the right time - about the importance of small decisions and the way we have no control of what happens after we make our choices. But mostly it reminded me that there are a lot of things in life I CANNOT control, but there are so many more things that I CAN if I choose to see life as full of possibilities.  I had no problem believing in this plot and I had to read with pen to underline all the profound thoughts that Nora has as she figures out if she wants to live or die.

It can be triggering for those who either have themselves or loved someone who has considered suicide.  But I would encourage you to continue reading because when I closed this book at the end, I felt HOPEFUL, like maybe we really are a part of a grand scheme that wants us to be our best, most authentic selves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...