Tuesday, June 30, 2020

My Calamity Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows (audiobook)

genre: young adult historical fantasy

Calamity Jane is the whip-snappin' genu-wine heroine of this Western romp of a novel, although her fellow characters (familiar in their own right) hold their own!   With those hairy garou on the loose all over the plains, Calamity and her posse travel around with their Wild West show, amazing audiences with their skills but keeping their eye out for those pesky critters who can wreak havoc every time the moon is full.  Soon, there are games afoot and the adventure is a rootin' tootin' story full of strong lady characters who don't put up with any nonsense.  Anything you think you can do, chances are, they can do it better!

Shoot.  This was really funny.  I really love the witty dialogue and one-liners, the authors' interjectory comments and the clever plot.  The ending lasted a LITTLE too long for me and sometimes it felt like there were a few too many swirling threads but I laughed out loud so many times (especially at the randomly inserted and disguised pop-culture references).  I'm really glad I chose to listen - the narration was awesome and I never really knew where this story would take me.  Fun times.

3 comments:

Kim Aippersbach said...

I didn't realize they were doing a series of Jane books: what a fabulous concept! I really enjoyed My Plain Jane (reworking of Jane Eyre). There's also My Lady Jane, about Lady Jane Grey. These are just the kind of book I'm looking for right now!

clarabenet90@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elena said...

Grateful for shariing this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...