Sunday, February 16, 2020

Internment by Samira Ahmed

genre: young adult speculative

In an America that looks nearly identical to ours, Layla Amin and her parents are suddenly enemies of the state for one reason: they admit to being Muslim.  For this cause alone are they taken from their homes and forced to relocate to a camp in the desert - a place where any rights they'd once had are now forfeit.  Internment does not sit well with seventeen year old Layla, as well it shouldn't,  and her mind is constantly spinning with ways to resist.  She doesn't just want resistance, though, she wants her freedom back, and she knows she can't do it alone.

This book hits so close to truth that it's super uncomfortable, in the right way.  Layla is a strong character that knows her mind and is willing to do the right thing even when it's terrifying.  I appreciate that her inner monologue gives context to what's happening, so that teen readers can know that yes, American has ACTUALLY DONE THIS ALREADY.  While the story itself is fairly predictable, it's an interesting read and I like that, especially if you've never actually known anyone that's Muslim, you might walk away from this story a little more educated. For me as an adult reader, even though I agree with what she's saying, sometimes it was too preachy and "sound byte-y" for me.   One of the main characters, the "baddie," felt vaguely caricatured but not so much that I couldn't suspend my disbelief.  I appreciated that Internment felt very "real time" and even with those few little things, I'm really glad I read it.

Overall, teens should read this story just to let their minds go to this really scary place, to imagine what THEY might do if this were to become an American reality.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...